Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Irritants and Allergens in Cosmetics

Disclaimer: Please keep in mind everyone will have differing opinions on this topic, this post is merely based on my experience and opinions, I welcome constructive criticism. 


Before I go any further and without sounding like I am contradicting myself, I would like to iterate the fact that I am an animal rights advocate and am 100% against animal testing. While animal rights organizations have moved leaps and bounds in the awareness of animals and their role in product testing, I feel groups like PeTA propagate in a very aggressive and even sexual way and find the imagery used in their campaigns to be very disturbing. However, I am sympathetic towards the fact that it is a method in bringing forward the issues surrounding the unethical use of animals in cosmetic testing, pharmaceutical testing, et al.

What I am trying to get at is, since most indie cosmetic brands and some luxury brands are cruelty-free (i.e. do not use ingredients tested on animals), I have found myself to be the guinea pig (so to speak), as of late. I have had more reactions to cosmetic products and endure more overall irritation when using certain brands of cosmetics than ever before.

Here are a few examples of some products I have had reactions to, the ingredients that I have concluded as a possible culprit of said reaction and highlighted is the ingredient I think may be the main cause of the reaction;

1. Too Faced Everything Nice Palette (all eyeshadows) - Ethyl Palmitate, Phenoxyethanol (an irritant, banned for cosmetic use in Japan), Sorbic Acid, Ethylene/Acrylic Acid Polymer

2. Raine Cosmetics Lip Paints - CyclopentasiloxaneTriethoxycaprylylsilane 

3. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion - Perfluorononyl Dimethicone, CyclopentasiloxanePentaerythrityl Tetra-Di-T-Butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Tocopherol

4. M.A.C. Studio Moisture Tint - CyclopentasiloxanePhenoxyethanol (discontinued)

How was I able to pin-point the irritant you ask? All I did was take an inventory of the products I had issues with, and those I do not have issues with, conduct a comparison of common/uncommon ingredients and did some online research. It was pretty easy. Now the hard part, taking an inventory of all cosmetic products I own with the above ingredients and discarding them.

My thesis statement: Cruelty-free does not substantiate the reason to include toxic products in cosmetic products not-tested on animals

Has anyone else had any similar experiences/reactions?

Hope you enjoyed reading this article.


No comments:

Post a Comment